Responsibilities and key deliverables
* Technical involvement in all stages of the development lifecycle of products and services, using middleware and Java / J2EE.
* Responsible for the development, integration, support and maintenance of internet and provisioning based applications/services written in Java.
* Accountable for software delivery from third party system integrators. Can demonstrate effective third party relationship building and end to end solution delivery within agreed architecture, development methodology and timescales.
* Provides day-to-day management of internal and/or offshore development resources and third party suppliers who are providing services or resources to the team.
* Responsible for signing off individual development stages including design, development, unit testing and approving work completed by third party suppliers.
* Responsible for ensuring that all deliverables are of appropriate quality and meet the sated requirements (e.g. design documentation, software, unit test documentation & results, etc).
* Responsible for delivering loosely coupled components with clearly defined interfaces within a large component based infrastructure that conforms to a detailed design and requirements definition.
* Responsible for all development aspects within the development lifecycle from design through to the support and enhancement of applications once they are in production.
* Work closely with IT Operations teams to ensure applications are operationally robust and that application performance remains within defined boundaries.
* Work with the Development Manager to define and maintain software development standards and methodologies. Promote development standards and best practice within the team.
Job specific qualifications and experience
* Of Graduate calibre, with an understanding of structured Software Engineering principles.
* Proven track record in Java/J2EE development (8 years or more)
* Strong hands on middleware software design and development experience. Specifically loosely coupled component interface design within a large component based infrastructure.
* An experienced software team leader that has successfully developed and delivered large scale, high availability applications.
* Experience of managing suppliers to ensure they deliver services and solutions agreed to within the terms of the contract. Ability to build effective working relationships between the two organisations.
* Proven experience of developing software within a well defined development process. Fully familiar with the tools and techniques used (e.g. UML, and Agile Development).
* Proven design and development skills, using some or all of the following technologies / languages:
* Java / J2EE
* Web services (SOAP, Fusion Weblogic/OSB/EJB ) / Message based provisioning systems
* RDBMS experience (Oracle, MySQL)
* Tools (Subversion, Maven, Eclipse)
* Application Server Environments (Weblogic 11g)
* A team player committed to getting the job done in a timely and quality driven manner.
* Able to communicate and collaborate with a variety of audiences (both technical and non-technical) to achieve the department objectives, deliver projects and work items.
* Have a sound understanding of IT systems (preferably those used by a large Telco) and worked in a variety of IT or Technical roles. Has a good understanding of the potential value of technology solutions for busines