* Working closely with the Legal Director, Heads of Legal and fellow Legal Counsel on all relevant commercial issues, taking ownership of matters, as appropriate.
* Partnering with the business in the setting of data security policy and guidelines; works closely with the business, occasionally sitting within the business in order to build relationships and better understand key legal issues.
* Providing the business with advice on developing product offerings, and novel use of data (e.g. customer analytics, data leveraging, insight, data profiling, use of advertising / social networking data).
* Advising on material commercial agreements (e.g. outsourcing and subcontracting arrangements): use of data and data protection clauses (including EU model clauses), assessing the risk to Virgin Media of certain contractual terms.
* Providing expertise and guidance on new legal developments such as the GDPR; experience in undertaking audits / assessments and data mapping.
* Supporting the compliance and risk team in incident management, complaints and breach reporting, including effective communication strategy with regulator, customers and other stakeholders, and directing team as to legal and regulatory requirements of data protection regulation (including Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations), ensuring the correct judgment calls are made in time sensitive matters.
* Identifying areas of risk in relation to data privacy and assisting in providing solutions to manage these risks.
* Sharing knowledge with the legal department as a whole and delivering training as required, taking an active role in departmental educational opportunities, periodic departmental meetings and other initiatives designed to promote departmental communication and cohesiveness.
* Supporting other areas when necessary, taking on responsibilities to support the legal function and business as a whole.
Everyone in our Legal team has a proactive and collaborative approach to work, with a keen eye for new legal developments and the drive to develop standards and practices. If you join us as a Head of Legal - Data Protection we would want you to be:
* A recognised legal expert in data protection/data privacy, with a proven track record of execution.
* At least 10 years PQE with complimentary experience in leading significant, high-profile matters in a consumer-facing business.
* A proven leader, with experience of managing teams.
* Experienced in working in a large consumer facing business.
* Practiced in commercial contract work, to give a wider perspective
* Experienced within the TMT sector - desirable, not essential.