This is an exciting time to join Virgin Media as a Senior Legal Counsel - Data Protection. Assisting in setting the company-wide privacy agenda in light of the evolving global privacy landscape, you will also take ownership for pro-active business partnering in the provision of legal advice on privacy and data protection matters across the business.
Providing commercially focused, accurate, and efficient legal advice on data protection and privacy matters, your duties will be wide ranging, but ultimately you will be responsible for:
* Providing legal and policy advice on the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), ePrivacy Regulation, and other legislative and regulatory enhancements to the existing data protection legal regime and where full business readiness is imperative.
* The provision of legal and policy advice on "business as usual" data protection issues such as marketing consents, opt-outs, competitions, privacy policies and notices, data processing agreements, and international transfers of data.
* Providing legal and policy advice on the development of product offerings, and new use of data (e.g. customer analytics, data leveraging, insight, data profiling, advanced advertising).
* The provision of legal and policy advice on commercial agreements of material importance to the business (e.g. outsourcing and subcontracting arrangements): incorporation of data protection and data protection clauses (including EU model clauses), and assessing the risk and implications of pertinent contractual terms.
* Supporting the compliance and risk team in privacy impact assessments, incident management, complaints, and breach reporting; including effective communication strategy with regulators, customers and other stakeholders, and advising the business on legal and regulatory data protection requirements.
* Identifying areas of risk in relation to data privacy, and assisting in providing solutions to manage these risks.
* Maintaining a keen awareness of the Information Commissioner’s Office and other regulatory guidance and assessing operational privacy risk, taking account of market practice.
* Staying up to date with legal developments and key business information, as well as the marketplace and the company’s position within it.
* Sharing knowledge with the wider legal department and delivering training as required, taking an active role in departmental educational opportunities, periodic departmental meetings, and other initiatives.
* Leading by example, developing standards and practices for the business functional area, motivating and informing other lawyers within the department to provide the best possible legal advice and support.
* Working closely with the different Heads of Legal, fellow Legal Counsel, and key business stakeholders on all relevant issues.
* Working closely with the business in order to build relationships and better understand key legal issues.
* Supporting other areas when necessary, taking on responsibilities to support the legal function and business as a whole.
* Escalating important issues or concerns and seeking assistance and direction where appropriate.
Everyone in our Legal team has strong commercial acumen and proven judgement, together with the ability and creditability to form effective ‘client’ relationships across all levels. If you join us as a Senior Legal Counsel - Data Protection we would want you to have:
* Demonstrable legal proficiency in data protection, w